June is National Garage Door Safety Month!
This is our opportunity to increase awareness about the biggest entry to your home and how to keep it secure and prevent injuries!
This list is not meant to be comprehensive, but these pointers are simple and easily accomplished. Always read the manufacturer’s instruction manual for a safety guide about your model.
- Do not leave the garage door cracked open for extended amounts of time!
- Keep fingers, hands, arms, and all body parts away from tracks, springs, rollers, etc.
- Make sure the garage door opener wall mount cannot be pressed by children; it should be roughly five feet off the ground.
- Visually check-over the garage door for possible wear and tear. Carefully look at springs, cables, rollers, and pulleys. Do not attempt to remove, adjust, or repair these parts or anything attached to them. These parts are under high tension and should only be fixed by a trained garage door professional.
- If there is glass on your garage door, inspect seasonally to see if any cracks have formed. Better to prevent a problem than wait for it to happen!
- Do not let children play on or with the garage door — i.e., riding on them or racing in and out as they’re closing. Educate your children on the possible dangers.
- Never place fingers between door sections.
- If you and/or your family plan on a vacation this summer, unplug the garage door unit or use the lock security switch on the wall console, (an optional accessory to most openers).
Garage door safety should be remembered in June and throughout the rest of the year as well! In order to keep your garage door safe: know how your garage door performs, keep up routine maintenance, and talk about garage door safety!
If your garage needs an inspection or some updates, contact Overhead Door of Garden City 620-275-4602 or schedule a service appointment.
Happy National Garage Door Safety Month from everyone here at Overhead Door of Garden City!